Rehabilitation Guidelines for Distal Biceps Tendon Repair
Please note that these instructions are general guidelines to be followed; however, any written or verbal instructions provided by Dr. Verma or either Physician Assistant supersede the instructions below and should be followed.
Post-Operative Rehabilitation Guidelines for Distal Biceps Tendon Repair
0-First Post-Op Visit:
- Sling and Splint all times
- Please make patient removable extension block splint at 45°
- Begin Active Assist ROM. Initially Limit Extension to 45°, Advance to full extension by 6 weeks.
- Splint all times other than exercises
- Wrist/Shoulder ROM exercises
- May D/C elbow Splint
- Continue Passive/Active Assist ROM Elbow
- Begin Biceps Isometrics
- Begin Cuff/Deltoid Isometrics
- Maintain Wrist/Shoulder ROM
- Begin Active Elbow Flexion against gravity
- Maintain ROM Elbow/Wrist/Shoulder
- Advance to resistive Strengthening Deltoid/Rotator Cuff
Week 12 – 6 months:
- Begin Gradual elbow flexion strengthening and advance as tolerated.